1830-1855In the early 1820s, wealthy landowners in the Leighton, Alabama, area established a village on the crest of the mountain to the southwest of this site. This community eventually had about 400 inhabitants and became known as LaGrange. In the 1820s, the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church solicited proposals for a site and contributions for a college in the Southeast. The citizens around LaGrange offered a site and subscription of $10,000. On December 4, 1828, the Methodist Church accepted the LaGrange proposition. Later that month, the Mississippi Conference joined in the efforts to establish a college. Representatives from the two conferences met at LaGrange on January 10, 1829, and selected a site for the college. On January 11, 1830, "La Grange College" opened with an enrollment of 70 students. Eight days later the college became the first state chartered college in Alabama. Rev. Robert Paine was the president (1830-1846).
|Placed By||Sponsored by LaGrange Living Historical Assn., Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation, Benefactors and the Lawrence W. McGregor Family|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 27th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 449562 N 3835920|
|Decimal Degrees||34.66400000, -87.55048333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 39.84', W 87° 33.029'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 39' 50.4" N, 87° 33' 1.7400000000002" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.