“They made the Ultimate Sacriﬁce.”
This grove of red maple trees marks the southern entrance to a special memorial roadway which honours the members of our community who lost their lives for us during the two World Wars and the Afghanistan Conflict. Running north from Mallorytown to a similar memorial site in Athens, this roadway was named by local schoolchildren.
It has been officially designated by the Townships of Front of Yonge and Athens and by the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville as the "Remembrance Road."
Each of these young men is commemorated with his own tree and cross. These symbolise the ideals which they fought so hard to protect-a secure future for their families and friends and for their way of life. Though they may have died far from home amongst the snows of Norway or in the dust of Sicily, their memory will live here forever in the hearts of grateful Township residents for whom, it can be truly said,
"They made the Ultimate Sacrifice."
World War 1 1914-1918
1. Frank BENNET · 2. Morton HODGE · 3. R.L. McGIHAM
4. Fred COOK · 5. George W. MALLORY · 6. Fred SALTER
World War II 1939-1945
7. Jack D. BUELL-Private, 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion. Killed in action on March 24, 1945 while crossing the Rhine River, Central Germany, 23 years old
Donald R. GARDINER - Flight Lieutenant, Royal Canadian Air Force. Killed in plane crash on Feb. 20, 1942 near Camp Borden, Canada. 23 years old.
9. Morris LAMBERT-Sergeant, Royal Canadian Artillery. Killed in action in November, 1943, in Ortona, Italy, 22 years old.
10. Charles MASSEY Jr-Corporal, Royal Canadian Artillery, Killed in action on D-Day, June 6, 1944, in Bayeux, Normandy, France, 22 years old.
11. William McKEE-Sergeant, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry. Killed in action on Oct 6, 1943 at Palermo, Sicily. 21 years old.
12. Wm. L.N. SIMPSON-Signalman, Royal Canadian Signal Corps. Killed in action on August 15, 1944, France. 18 years old.
13. Irvine L. DONEVAN D.F.M.-Flight Sergeant, Royal Canadian Air Force. Killed when shot down on April 27, 1944 over Western France.
14. George H. HOWARD.-A.A.O.C.M.F.-Private, Loyal Edmonton Regiment. Killed in action on Feb. 25, 1944 by a sniper while on patrol in Italy. 19 years old.
15. Hugh LYNCH-Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force. Killed in action when shot down in February, 1945 over Bygstad, Sunnfgord, Norway.
16. Douglas MOULTON-Flight Sergeant, Royal Canadian Air Force. Killed in action on June 28/29, 1943 when shot down Barendricht, Holland. 21 years old.
17. Donald M. RUNNING-Corporal, Stormont Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders. Killed in action on July 18, 1944 in Normandy,
France. 32 years old.
18. Jack TENNANT-[L]eading Aircraftsman, Royal Canadian Air Force. Killed in a plane crash in 1942 in Dorval, Quebec.
19. Randy Joseph PAYNE-Corporal, Military Police. Killed in action in Afghanistan on April 22, 2006, North of Kandahar. 32 years old.
May this sacred Band of Brothers be forever honoured in our memories.
LEST WE FORGET