Restored in 1980 to its original look, the Foucart Building was built in 1891 by Edward T. Patten to house the Boston Store (dry goods) managed by J.M. Brooks, later builder of Brooks Opera House. Geo. King's New York Racket Store (notions, general) succeeded the Boston by 1899. (Racket was "society" slang for a fashionable crowed fete.)
National Biscuit Company leased the space for offices in 1911. Later occupants were a repair shop and, in 1920, E.A. Neher's Paige Automobile agency.
The building was returned to retail merchandising in 1928 when John E. Gaffney moved his furniture store there. Successive owners continued furniture sales until 1974, after which the building became vacant.
The building was designed by Joseph Foucart, who had his office in the 3rd floor tower from 1893 to 1897. These were among Foucart's most productive years as a architect in the growing Territorial capital's business district. As his office site and because the native sandstone edifice emphasizes his distinctive style, the structure became known by his name rather than that of the builder.
The 1980 facade restoration was the first completed in the Guthrie Historic District Restoration Program, sponsored by the Logan County Historical Society.