On October 3, 1899, William L. Eagleton, Grand Master of Masons for Oklahoma Territory, laid a cornerstone at this site for the construction of the first Scottish Rite Masonic Temple in Oklahoma.
The Temple occupied the south half of this block and boasted a larger auditorium, stage and proscenium than the Brooks Opera House, also located in downtown Guthrie. It was fitted with all the modern improvements, including electric lights. The architect for the building was D.W.F. Turbyfill, Oklahoma City.
The Dedication Reunion of the Guthrie Scottish Rite Bodies was held on May 29-31, 1900. A class of 47 candidates emerged as 32° Masons, thus launching what would become one of the largest Scottish Rite Masonic organizations in the United States.
In 1920, a new edifice was constructed by the Scottish Rite at 900 East Oklahoma Avenue. The first Scottish Rite Temple in Oklahoma was finally razed in 1956.