Church of the Purísima Concepción

Church of the Purísima Concepción (HM2MI8)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 20° 12.842', W 101° 7.639'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 7 views
Inscription

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

 Templo de la Purísima ConcepciónEn 1550, los religiosos de la Orden de San Agustín llegaron al territorio de Yuririapúndaro, hoy Yuriria. Su presencia no sólo sirvió para realizar la labor evangelizadora, también para ayudar a los peninsulares a pacificar la región, pues eran comunes los enfrentamientos entre chichimecas y conquistadores. Además de fundar el impresionante templo y ex convento de San Agustín, los frailes agustinos organizaron y dirigieron la construcción de otros templos, como el de la Purísima Concepción. La edificación de este inmueble inició en 1710, bajo la dirección de fray Alonso de Esqueda, y concluyó diez años después. La fachada del templo tiene dos niveles separados, que están separados por una cornisa. La entrada al templo es a través de un vano o puerta con un arco de medio punto; éste tiene a ambos lados dos pilastras jónicas. En el segundo nivel se apecia la ventana del coro. A un costado de la fachada se aprecía un cuerpo cuadrangular que, por sus características constructivas, parece ser la base de una torre campanario, sin embargo ésta se encuentra en la parte



central de la fachada, a manera de remate. La planta arquitectónica del templo tiene forma de cruz latina, misma que está dividida en tres tramos: uno con bóveda de arista y los otros con bóveda de
cañón corrido sostenida por arcos de cantera. Al interior del templo se puede observar una cúpula circular, un presbiterio o altar mayor cubierto por una boveda de arista; además, en el crucero de la nave hay bellos retablos e imágenes de la Purisima Concepción, un óleo de la Virgen de Guadalupe; asi como otras imágenes de San Judas Tadeo, Jesús crucificado, San Agustín y Santa Ana. Las fiestas en honor a la Virgen de la Purísima Concepción se celebran cada 8 de diciembre. La elección de este día tiene relación directa con la fecha en que el Papa Pío IX, a través de una bula, promulgó el documento llamado Ineffabilis Deus, donde se declara que desde su nacimiento, el alma de María, madre de Jesús, estaba inmaculada y pura.English translation:Church of the Purísima ConcepciónIn 1550, the religious Order of Saint Augustine came to this territory of Yuririapúndaro, today Yuriria. They did not only evangelized the locals, they
also helped the Spanish to pacify the region, since the clashes between chichimecas and the conquerors were common. In addition to founding the awesome church and ex-convent of St. Augustine,



the Augustinian friars organized and directed the construction of other churches, such as the Purísima Concepción. The construction of this building started in 1710 under the direction of Fray Alonso de Esqueda, and completed ten years later. The facade of the church has two separate levels, which are separated by a cornice. The entrance to the church is through a door with a semicircular arch shape; it has on both sides two Ionic pilasters. On the second level the window of the choir is appreciated. On one side of the facade a quadrangular building is located and, because of its constructive characteristics, it appears to be the basis of a bell tower, however it is found in the central part of the facade, like a pinnacle. The architectural plan of the church is that of a Latin cross, which itself is divided into three sections: one with a cross vault and the other ones with a barrel vault supported by stone arches. Inside the church you may see a circular dome, a presbytery or main altar covered by a cross vault; in the transept there are beautiful altarpieces and images of the Immaculate Conception, a painting of the Virgin of Guadalupe; and other images of St. Judas Tadeo, Jesus crucified, St. Augustine and Saint Anne. The festivities in honor of the Virgin of La Purísima Concepción are celebrated every December 8th. The choice of this



day is directly related to the date on which Pope Pius IX, by a bull, issued a document called Ineffabilis, which states that, from birth, the soul of Mary, mother of Jesus, was immaculate and pure.
Details
HM NumberHM2MI8
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, October 31st, 2019 at 11:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 277734 N 2236592
Decimal Degrees20.21403333, -101.12731667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 12.842', W 101° 7.639'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 12' 50.52" N, 101° 7' 38.34" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?