The design of the major building systems was completed. The systems include:
· 1.7 million square feet of finished space
· two 726-foot north-south roof trusses and five 600-foot east-west roof trusses
· moveable overhead light grid
· retractable playing surface to ease transition between football configuration and other uses.
· 180,000 square feet of exhibition space
· ample restroom facilities with male/female parity
· a roof area of 529,000 square feet (over 12 acres)
· 17,500 lighting fixtures
· 2 million pounds of sheet metal ductwork
· 1.3 million bricks
· 600,000 concrete blocks
· floor grid on a 30" pattern allowing vendors access to water, compressed air, electricity, and telephone hookup
· enough wire and cable to extend from St. Louis to Joplin, MO and back
June 13 — Formal groundbreaking was held and the site preparation began.
The completion date was accelerated from May 1996 to October 25, 1995, to accommodate part of the 1995 NFL football season.