Necessary financing was obtained through the issuance of three series of bonds totaling $258,670,000, at the time, the largest publicly financed project in the State of Missouri.
The conceptual design for this facility was accomplished and emphasized:
· capacity of 70,000 seats for athletic events
· clear sight lines for all seats
· appearance complementing surrounding architecture
· compliance with accessibility requirements
· compliance with seismic criteria
· flexible floor configuration contiguous level with that of the existing Convention Center
Key property parcels were acquired to secure the land necessary for the new facility.
A long-term lease agreement was executed by the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission to manage, operate, and market the facility inclusive of the existing Cervantes Convention Center, the Executive Conference Center and the domed stadium/convention center expansion (collectively America's Center) upon its completion.
May 1996 was established as the completion date for the project.