Chapel of Santa María

Chapel of Santa María (HM2MJD)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 20° 13.187', W 101° 8.217'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 2 views
Inscription

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

 Capilla Santa MaríaYuriria es un lugar lleno de tradición, historia, atractivos naturales y diversas edificaciones civiles y religiosas, estas últimas abarcan desde edificios monumentales como el templo y antiguo convento de San Agustín, hasta discretas edificaciones, como la Capilla de Santa María.Son pocos los datos que se tienen sobre esta capilla, se sabe, por ejemplo, que el inmueble data del año 1537 y que fue edificado a la llegada del evangelizador Fray Alonso de Alvarado, a quien se considera primer catequizador del lugar. Aquí se venera a Santa María del Socorro de los Pobres, la fiesta principal se celebra cada 25 de diciembre. La capilla se localiza cerca del actual embarcadero de la Laguna de Yuriria, lugar de gran importancia por considerarse la primera gran obra hidráulica del siglo XVI, hecha también, por los religiosos españoles que llegaron a
evangelizar en estas tierras. Según datos históricos de Yuriria, después de que se consolidó la conquista de Michoacán, los españoles decidieron establecer una encomienda en el territorio del actual Yuriria, que fue cedida a Juan de Tovar.



La evangelización de los
naturales estuvo a cargo de la orden religiosa de los frailes agustinos, quienes diseñaron y ejecutaron dos grandes proyectos que fueron determinantes para este poblado: el templo y convento de San Agustín y el canal de Taramatacheo, con el que se formó la Laguna de Yuriria. De acuerdo con los datos del archivo parroquial, en 1548 llegó a Yuriria Fray
Diego de Chávez y Alvarado, principal encargado de la construcción del monumental conjunto religioso y de la laguna. En esos documentos se indica que este personaje pasó algunas noches en un jacal de zacate, ubicado a un lado de la Capilla Santa María. Por las fechas de conformación de la encomienda, de la llegada de religiosos
de la construcción de la capilla, se puede especular que ésta fue una de las primeras edificaciones religiosas fundadas en este lugar.English translation:Chapel of Santa MaríaYuriria is a place full of tradition, history, natural attractions and various civil and religious buildings, the latter ranging from monumental buildings such as the Church and old Convent of San Agustín, to discrete buildings, including the Chapel of Santa María. There is few data about this chapel, we know, for example that the building started in 1537 and was built at the arrival of the evangelist Friar Alonso de Alvarado, who is considered the



first catechist of the place. Santa Maria del Socorro de los Pobres is worshiped here, the main festival is held each December on the 25th. The chapel is located near the current pier of the Yuriria lagoon, a very important hydraulic work considered the first major labor of the XVI century also made by the Spanish priests who came to evangelize these lands. According to historical data from Yuriria, after the conquest of Michoacán was consolidated, the Spaniards decided to establish a parcel in the territory of what is now Yuriria, which was given to Juan de Tovar. The evangelization of the indigenous was in charge of the religious order of the Augustinians friars, who designed and implemented two major projects that were critical to this town: the church and convent of San Agustin and the Taramatacheo channel with which the Yuriria Lagoon was formed. According to data from the parish archives in 1548 Friar Diego de Chávez y Alvarado came to Yuriria responsible of the construction of the monumental religious complex and the lagoon. These documents indicate that this man spent a few nights in a hut made of grass, located next to the Chapel of Santa Maria. From the dates of the creation of the entrustment, the arrival of religious men and the construction of the chapel, we can speculate that this was one of the first religious buildings erected here.
Details
HM NumberHM2MJD
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, November 1st, 2019 at 8:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 276736 N 2237242
Decimal Degrees20.21978333, -101.13695000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 13.187', W 101° 8.217'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 13' 11.22" N, 101° 8' 13.02" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?