Montgomery CountyIn 1890, Elijah Madison Jr., Charles Branson, Charles Braswell and others donated funds to construct a private school in the Madison Park Community, which was founded by 14 former Slaves in 1880. A storm soon destroyed the first school building. General P. Madison rebuilt the school building. The first teachers from 1890-1906 were P. Hatchet, Rev. Joe and Carol Arrington, Miss Carrie Madison served as the first principal. In 1913, Julius Rosenwald, along with community residents made contributions toward the construction of a two-teacher type school building. In the early 1930s the school was added to the county system. In 1954, a four-room cement block building was built. In 1961 the original Rosenwald School was torn down and a brick addition was completed that included an auditorium and cafeteria. Teachers from the community were Prince E. Madison and Frankie M. Winston; cooks from the community were Gertrude Johnson, Mamie C. Motley. Annie Singleton, Willie Slaughter, and Sarah Thornton; custodians from the community were Gogladdis Chambliss and Elmetia Gholston. The school continued as an elementary school until school desegregation began in the 1970s. The school is now the community center for Madison Park.
|Placed By||2019 by Madison Park Community Re-Union Organization, Robert Taylor III, President|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, November 3rd, 2019 at 4:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 573355 N 3588300|
|Decimal Degrees||32.42940000, -86.21973333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 25.764', W 86° 13.184'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 25' 45.84" N, 86° 13' 11.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.