In 1853, John S, Claybrook, a Williamson County railroad visionary, led a group of about 30 local citizens to provide the initial $20,000 capital for building the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. The City of Franklin followed with $20,000. Once the company had graded and prepared 20 miles of roadbed from Nashville with stone and cross ties, the State of Tennessee paid for the English-mad iron rails by issuing 6% long-term bonds at the rate of $10,000 per mile,. On March 6, 1855, the first train of the T&A Railroad Co. pulled into this depot site. The second railroad constructed in the state, it was soon completed to Thompson's Station, Columbia, Pulaski, and finally, Decatur, AL.
Courtesy of Calvin and Marylyn Lehew
Williamson County Historical Society 2007