The Legacy of the Huron Docks

The Legacy of the Huron Docks (HM2MOG)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 41° 23.81', W 82° 33.094'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 13 views
Inscription

1906 Dock Improvements / New Electric Coal Dumper 1937

1906 Dock Improvements.
In the early 1900s the lake vessels were getting larger and needed more water and room to turn around when emptied. In 1906 the
Army Corps of Engineers widened Huron Harbor from 120 to 180 feet and extended the west break wall. In the same year the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad announced it would spend $1 million on dock improvements, including the construction of a second slip for both
ore and coal.

A new slip and winding or turning basin was built on 200 acres of marshland upriver from slip #1.This meant that the Berlin Road Bridge, which connected the east side of Huron with downtown, had to be closed. The bridge was located on the south end of the Wheeling yards and was blocking the expansion of the shipping channel and turning basin. A new bridge was built over the river a little farther south of the docks.

New Electric Coal Dumper 1937.
In 1937 the docks were improved by installing a new electric car dumper on the north side of slip #1. It was the most modern coal dumper on the lakes at the time, with a capacity of unloading
sixty 70-ton cars per hour.

Loading the cargo holds with coal was a precise operation. The cars were first moved from the loading yard to the coal dumper. Each car was moved by gravity and had a rider who worked the hand brake



to control its speed. A "pig" ran between the tracks and pushed the car up the hill into the hoist mechanism. The coal would fall into a funnel, which directed it into a chute leading into the vessel's hold. The chute on the dumper could be moved to place coal into any part of the cargo hold. This enabled the men to trim the boat and fill the hold to the maximum. Because coal is relatively light for the volume it occupies a boat's hold could be completely filled.

When a car was emptied it was put back on the track and rolled down away from the dumper up the kickback. The empty car reversed direction on the kickback and rolled through the switch behind it into the empty yard. The dumper handled one car a minute.
Details
HM NumberHM2MOG
Tags
Year Placed2018
Placed ByThe Huron Historical Society thehuronhistoricalsociety.org
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 at 1:01pm PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17T E 370294 N 4583972
Decimal Degrees41.39683333, -82.55156667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 41° 23.81', W 82° 33.094'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds41° 23' 48.6" N, 82° 33' 5.6400000000001" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?