Above this location, a one-and-a-half ton eagle is perched on the viaduct that circles Grand Central Terminal, It is one of 12 eagle sculptures that formerly graced the roof of the original Grand Central Station in 1898. In 2004, ninety-four years after the demolition of the station, this majestic eagle was returned to its former home.
It was graciously given to MTA-Metro North Railroad by the Capuchin Franciscan friars in 2001, after spending many years mounted on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River on the former estate of U.S. Representative Hamilton Fish in Garrison, N.Y. After undergoing extensive restoration, it was installed at this location, complementing the other original eagle perched above the entrance to Grand Central off Lexington Avenue at 43rd Street.
The eagle, restored for MTA Metro-North Railroad by the Architectural Iron Company and Evergreen Studios, is finished in gold and palladium leaf and brown paint.
April 28th, 2004