The Episcopal Church came to Montana Territory with Bishop D.S. Tuttle in 1867, who rode horseback to mining camps and frontier posts. An abandoned saloon housed the first Fort Benton services, then a hotel and school.
When Rev. S.C. Blackiston arrived in 1879, a committee was named by Tuttle to build a new church: W.G. Conrad, J.S. Hill, W.H. Todd, A.B. Kester, F.C, Roosevelt, Charles Conrad, Charles Duer, William Wetzel, Joseph A. Baker and Paris Gibson. $4,000 was subscribed by June 11, 1880. John Wilton was the architect and Henry Brinkman, donated the land. The first services were held August 10, 1881. The church's name came from St. Paul's School in Concord, NH; its visiting headmaster Rev. Colt made the initial contribution.
This is the oldest Episcopal Church in Montana and the oldest church in Fort Benton.