Huron and Erie County are rich in Native American history.
During the construction of the nearby Ohio Route 2 bypass
archaeologists in 1976-77 uncovered three Native villages and
The Anderson site, overlooking the Old Woman Creek
estuary, contains artifacts dating to the fifteenth century A.D.
The site was once a permanent village, with remains of bowls,
fire pits, and even traces of food found among its artifacts.
The Jenkins site. also near the estuary, was a winter camp
for Indians. Excavators there found several pieces of pottery
carbon dated to 147O A.D. The final dig, the Enderle
site—located west of the Huron River—was strictly a burial site.
The discovery of European objects in its graves suggests its
creation by a more recent people, such as the Delaware or
Wyandot Indians. In 1805, Native Americans in the Firelands
signed a land cession treaty at Fort Industry (modern Toledo),
and in succeeding years were compelled to leave the region.