oil-burning stove in a Lakeside cottage on Walnut
Avenue. A strong wind
and Sandusky were
suppress the fire,
printing office of the Peninsula News were consumed
by the fire. Fortunately,
the tragic fire resulted in no casualties or serious injuries.
The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association responded to both fire and medical emergencies on the Marblehead Peninsula for more than 100 years. It was founded in 1905, after a devastating fire that destroyed Lakeside's business district. In 1946, the Association began providing emergency medical aid. During their service, the Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association progressed from hand-drawn chemical carts to the area's first heavy-duty fire and rescue truck. In 2013, the Association donated its assets to the newly-formed Danbury Township Volunteer Fire Department and passed into history.