Tuberculosis, or TB, is a contagious disease that
was responsible for the deaths of one out of every
seven people in the U.S. in the early 20th century.
The Licking County Tuberculosis Sanatorium,
known as the TB San, was constructed in 1931-1932
at a cost of $250,000. The facility kept TB patients
separate from the general population, controlling
the spread of disease. The location provided
patients with rest, fresh air, food, and exercise,
the main treatments for TB in the 19th through
The TB San served Licking County residents from
September 1932 until March 1967, but by the end
of 1960s TB was no longer a prevalent health concern.
In 1966, the Licking County Health Department
occupied the building. After the close of the TB
San in 1967, the facility also held an outpatient
tuberculosis clinic, the County Home (1969-1988),
and other county government offices. In 2015, the
health department became the building's owner.
Since opening in 1932, the facility has served the
public health needs of Licking County.