Broome was one of the six original towns in Schoharie
County and was established in 1797. The first settlements in
Broome were made before the American Revolution.
First known as Bristol, the town name was changed in 1808 in honor of
Lieutenant Governor John Broome, who was known for his honesty, integrity
and political ability.
During the Revolution, Tories of the Hudson River region and Indians of the Susquehanna Valley kept in communication through this territory. Scouts from the Middle and Upper Forts built farther north in the Schoharie Valley
often came to Broome to intercept loyalists as they
passed through the region.
Commerce in the 1800s
In the mid-1800s, the town of Broome was home more than 2,000 people and there were several centers of commerce including Livingstonville, which boasted a hotel, two stores, a post office, two blacksmith shops, a grist mill and many other shops. One of the more noted buildings in the town was the "Stone Store" built around 1841 in Livingstonville. It operated
as a store and hotel until the 1930s when it and an adjoining Brad
building were connected to make a large dance hall.
Broome's terrain is best described as hilly upland
with soils of gravel and clay loam. The Catskill
Creek flows south and east from
the town and
several branches of the northerly flowing
Schoharie Creek drain portions of the town.
Bald eagles often are sighted along the many waterways in the Town of Broome.
(top right) Franklinton Vlaie, located along Route 145 is a scenic recreational , ecological, and natural wonder. This freshwater wetland is an invaluable resource for wildlife habitat and for flood protection.
The Stone Store in the Town of Broome as it appeared in 1970.
(left) The Richtmyer Tavern the site of the first town meeting in Broome (then Bristol) on April 4, 1797. Through land divisions from the Town of Broome, the tavern now lies in the Town of Conesville