In an effort to remedy deplorable school facility conditions, philanthropist P.S. du Pont dedicated a substantial portion of his wealth towards the construction of African American schools during the 1920s. Milton Public School #196-C, which stood at this location, was one of over 80 schools to be built with such funding. Designed by New Jersey architectural firm Guilbert and Betelle, construction of the two-room schoolhouse began circa 1921 and was completed the following year. In addition to classroom space, the schoolhouse also featured an attached kitchen where hot lunches were later prepared for students. Desegregation efforts during the 1950s and 60s saw students successfully integrate with the Milton Special School District, which became one of three towns to form the Cape Henlopen School District during 1969-1970. The school building collapsed in 2006, and on April 19, 2014 over 120 former students, teachers, friends and family attended a reunion luncheon in Georgetown to remember their shared history and ensure the continuation of the school's legacy.