Organized Freemasonry in Delaware can be traced to the mid-18th century. On January 16, 1815, Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M. was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Delaware, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons while it convened at the State House in Dover. A warrant was issued to the Lodge that same year naming Jesse Green Worshipful Master, John Mitchell Senior Warden, and James Millechop Junior Warden. Notable past Grand Masters of this Lodge include Joseph G. Oliver, who served as state represent (1820) and state senator (1828); and James P. Lofland, a well-known physician who served several terms in state legislature and served as president of Delaware's Medical Society (1830). Sources indicate that beginning in 1846, the Lodge met at a building situated on the northwest corner of Milford's Front and Walnut Streets, opposite a hotel. During the late 1950s the Lodge purchased the Grier Building on Causey Avenue, formerly home to the L.C. Caulk Company. The Lodge's new Masonic Temple was dedicated on September 13, 1960 and continues to serve as its meeting place. Since its inception, Temple Lodge No. 9 has promoted the ideals of friendship, morality, and brotherly love within the community.