The original house on this site was built in 1872 by W. Thornton Vaules, a station agent for the local railroad. In 1895 his daughter, Ella married the young dentist G. Layton Grier and moved into this house with her parents.
Upon the death of Levin D. Caulk in 1896, Dr. Grier moved the L.D. Caulk Company to Milford. In 1900 he became its first president. In time, he and his brother Dr. Frank Grier built L.D. Caulk into a world dental technology leader.
Upon the death of W. Thornton Vaules in 1907 Dr. Grier began a comprehensive reconstruction of the house, embellishing it with balconies, fluted columns, leaded glass windows, and formal gardens—in the fashionable Victorian style.
The Griers raised a son, Vaules and two daughters Margaret and Anne. In 1944 Layton died and in 1946 the two daughters donated this house to Milford Memorial Hospital to use as a nursing school. In 1953 it was sold to Roland and Sarah Beauchamp sho lived here until 1977, when Thomas H. Draper and Rachel Grier (grandniece) bought it. They raised four children. In 1990 they sold it to David W. and Dawn D. Kenton who live here today.