This concrete trough was part of E.A. Tovrea Memorial Zoo.
In June 1942, the Phoenix Gazette announced the opening of a zoo featuring Arizona wildlife. The small zoo housed bison (like the one pictured here) elk deer, antelope, coyote, javalina, beavers and a variety of birds and fish. Operated by the Tovrea Packing Company, the zoo was founded as a tribute to Edward A. Tovrea, an early Phoenix industrialist. By 1945, at the end of the second World War, the zoo had vanished. Likely causes include the zoo's then remote location, gas rationing, and downsizing in the Tovrea businesses.