The Lone Star School is one of more than 70 one-room schools once located throughout Jersey County. The school was built in 1877 roughly 13 miles west of Jerseyville, near the intersection of Routes 16 and 100.
For more than 70 years, children learned the three R's - reading, writing and arithmetic - within these humble walls. The consolidation of Jersey Community Unit 100 in 1947 signaled the beginning of the end for the county's one-room schools, and Lone Star School closed in 1952.
Nearly 50 years later, in 2001, Bill and Patsy Halemeyer donated the building to the Jersey County Historical Society. It was moved to its present location two years later.
Thanks to the generosity of former students, teachers and others, the Lone Star School contains many of its original contents and looks much as it did in the early 1900s.