Slavery and the EnslavedThe first enslaved African Americans were brought to Carnton in the nineteenth century. In 1820, eleven slaves lived here. By 1860, forty-four enslaved men, women and children labored on the six-hundred-acre farm. They lived in eleven cabins, most of them wooden, located two or three hundred yards south of the manor house. Only this brick dwelling survives. It was likely the home of skilled laborers or the slaves who worker in and around the house.
|Placed By||Battle of Franklin Trust|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, November 23rd, 2019 at 10:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 512845 N 3973204|
|Decimal Degrees||35.90305000, -86.85765000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 54.183', W 86° 51.459'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 54' 10.98" N, 86° 51' 27.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.