The Gaspar de Portolá expedition camped twice near this marker. During Spain's initial colonial thrust into Alta California, the exploration party headed northward from San Diego searching for Monterey Bay. At first, they did not recognize the bay and continued to travel north. Turning east looking for a supply ship, they climbed Sweeney Ridge and on November 4, 1769, made the European discovery of San Francisco Bay. On November 5, they camped near here and traveled to San Francisquito Creek the next day. After some scouting, they reversed course to search once more for the elusive Monterey. On November 12, they again camped near this site at "a small lake".