908 59th Avenue
— Historic Site, Built c 1905 —In 1911, James Armstrong was appointed a member of the building committee for the proposed Fairmount Heights Elementary School (now located at Addison Road and 61st Avenue). A few years later he was named Director of Manual Training School at Fairmount Heights Elementary. Mr. Armstrong served until 1919 as the Supervisor of Colored Schools in Prince George's County. He continued to be active in community affairs serving as chairman of the Citizen's Association and as one of the first Council members after the town was incorporated in 1935. Mr. Armstrong like many of the early settlers in Fairmount Heights was a graduate of the Tuskegee Institute and later Howard University Law School, graduating in 1904.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 333886 N 4307625|
|Decimal Degrees||38.90181667, -76.91563333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.109', W 76° 54.938'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 6.5400000000001" N, 76° 54' 56.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.