716 59th Avenue
— Historic Resource, Built 1911 —The Fairmount Heights Methodist Episcopal Church now known as Grace United Methodist Church was originally established in 1909. The first services were held in Charity Hall located at what is now 715 61st Avenue. For a short time after, services were held in Pastor Joshua Barnes' home near the church's present location. In 1909, after Pastor Barnes' death, the trustees of the church acquired two unimproved lots on Fairmount Avenue and began to raise money for the construction of a new church. The building was completed in 1911. It was a simple frame meetinghouse style structure, with three gothic arch windows in the principle gable front and a small belfry at the ridge. In 1938, Charles Greenleaf, who was active in political affairs, invited Governor Harry Nice of Maryland to address Men's Day Service at Grace United Methodist Church. The Governor was escorted in town by the town's police. The Governor walked from his car into the church through a lane of flowers formed by the girls of the community. In 1950, under the pastorship of the Reverend Edward S. Williams, the church was enlarged, the entry tower was constructed and the entire structure was covered with stucco.
|Placed By||Town of Fairmount Heights, Maryland|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, November 29th, 2019 at 4:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 333859 N 4307440|
|Decimal Degrees||38.90015000, -76.91590000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.009', W 76° 54.954'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 0.54000000000002" N, 76° 54' 57.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.