This plot is reserved in perpetuity for the Gregory family, who owned a working plantation here between 1797 and 1866.
This site was settled in 1610 by the Thomas Sheffield family under a royal patent of 2,300 acres from the Crown of England. The Sheffields were killed by Indians in 1622 and their land lay idle until 1634, when it became the property of Seth Ward. In 1797, some 1,000 acres were purchased by Richard Gregory of Dinwiddie.
In 1866, Major Augustus Drewry, a Gregory family member, traded this site for Westover Plantation in Charles City County. Canadian agriculturist James Bellwood bought the land in 1887 and transformed it into a model of Virginia agriculture.
After Bellwood's death in 1924, the farm was sold. In 1941, the U.S. government bought a portion for a supply depot, now the Defense General Supply Center.
Gregory Family Members Known to Rest Here
Richard Gregory 1756 - 1844
Elizabeth Wilkinson Gregory 1767 - 1842
Richard Augustus Gregory 1795 - 1835
George Cox 1796 - 1845
Margaret Cox 1796 - 1845
Frances Cox 1845 - 1845
Minerva M. Willson 1822 - 1841
Elizabeth Anderson Willson Gregory 1826 - 1863
Marcia A. Burton Gregory 1826 - 1897
William Thomas Gregory 1832 - 1906
Richard T. Gregory 1848 - 1849
Howard H. Gregory
1852 - 1911
Richard Augustus Gregory 1822 1867