Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church
Congregation founded 1801. Services held, uninterrupted, except for a Sunday in Nov. 1862, because of "Army passing down the pike and the house having sick soldiers in it." Called "Difficult" and located near Big Difficult Cr. whose name chosen because fords on creek were hard to predict. By 1810 permanent church built and renamed Bethlehem.
Church constituted by Elders John Hightower, Alexander Devin, Joseph Logan and eight members: James and Margaret Atwood, Wm. and Dorcas Strait, Wm. and Mary Thos., Polly Richey and Thos. Spillman. Elder Joseph Logan was first pastor. Slaves were members, 1819. Church voted to erect new house of worship, 1847; present edifice built, 1910.
Presented by Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church.