First Presbyterian Church of Prince WilliamA stone foundation and graveyard mark the site of Prince William County's first Presbyterian Church which was established in 1848 on land donated by the Kline family. Buried within the cemetery are the Presbyterian founders, a Methodist minister, his family, along with a Confederate soldier, Stephen E. Wilks, who succumbed to typhoid in August 1861. Many church members fled the area during the Civil War causing the church to close. Fire subsequently destroyed the structure but Mrs. Mary Kline managed to rescue the communion service and some pews before all was lost. The congregation reconvened and rebuilt after the Civil War but struggled to maintain membership. The church closed in 1890 and it was resovled that the organ be moved to Greenwood Presbyterian Church. White Hall Presbyterian Church continued services here from 1900 to 1910 when the church was finally dissolved and the property sold. The unoccupied church building fell into disrepair and finally collapsed in the later 1940s.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia: Prince William County Historical Commission series|
|Placed By||Prince William County Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, December 1st, 2019 at 7:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||31N E 166021 N 0|
|Decimal Degrees||0.00000000, 0.00000000|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.