March 28 ~ July 28, 1862Major General E. Kirby Smith of the Confederate Army established Camp Van Dorn 1 1/2 to 2 miles west of Knoxville Depot, near the banks of a little stream, Third Creek. It operated from March 28 through July 28, 1862. Most Georgia Confederate Infantry regiments, including the 37th, 39th, 40th, and 52nd from Camp McDonald at "Big Shanty", Georgia were here. Diseases decimated the ranks of the Ga. 40th and 52nd, killing 137. Mot of these Confederate dead were buried in Bethel Cemetery here in Knoxville.
|Placed By||Tennessee Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, December 1st, 2019 at 10:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 234110 N 3984395|
|Decimal Degrees||35.96778333, -83.94853333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 58.067', W 83° 56.912'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 58' 4.02" N, 83° 56' 54.72" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.