Throughout Llano County, large granite outcrops exist. The first granite quarry in Llano County opened in 1888 on the Llano River. When the railroad arrived in 1892, the demand for granite rapidly increased. Italian immigrant Vincenzo Fantozzi Petrick came to Llano County, established a quarry and provided stone for use in Texas' coastal jetties. When Buchanan Dam was completed, men and materials were diverted to the war effort and work at Petrick's quarry declined Llano's granite can be seen in the state capitol, the University of Texas at Austin, the Federal building in Kansas City, Missouri, and in many monuments across Texas. Quarries owned by Petrick contributed to Llano County's success.