1749 · Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc. · Restoration in 2002.
Councilor John Lewis (1694-1754) of Warner Hall in Gloucester County purchased 406 ac. at Fredericksburg's northern edge in 1742 and soon began a mercantile operation in wooden buildings just across Caroline Street.
In 1749 he built this brick store, distinguished by its stone quoins. His son Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), who married George Washington's sister Betty, ran this mercantile arm of the family's extensive shipping operations.
William S. Stone, William Taylor, and Robert Mackay, among others, were later merchants in this store. When the Fredericksburg Fire of 1807 damaged the original story and a half structure, it was repaired and a second floor was added.
The building changed from commercial to residential use in 1823. It remained a private residence until it was given to the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation in 1996.
Comments 0 comments