From a vista point near the 1,156 long, 130 foot high bridge, completed in 1966, the site of Bagby lies east under, and sometimes exposed beside, the back waters of Lake McClure. Bagby's history passed through three definite development eras. From 1850 to 1859 it was the site for Thomas E. Ridley's ferry. Then a dam and Fremont's water-powered stamp mills were built there, and the place renamed Benton Mills for his father-in-law. Later Benjamin A, Bagby built a hotel, store, saloon, and boarding house on the north side of the river. When Benton Mills post office was to be established on June 30, 1897, authorities found that a mining town in Mono County had prior claim to the name. Applicant N. C. Ray, a mining man, promptly chose the title Bagby in honor of his friend.
Bagby's subsequent history was integral with the importance of the Yosemite Valley Railroad, 1907 45. At its demise, Bagby diminished to a fisherman's resort. When inundation threatened in the early 1960's, Yosemite officials arranged removal of a turntable, twin water towers, and the Bagby Station to the Yosemite pioneer transportation center at El Portal. Bagby's remaining structures and old bridge were razed in late 1966. Where a stamp mill thundered and trains chugged, boaters now float. Among the first to launch a boat was B. A. Bagby's son, Everett.