When the British attacked Savannah on December 29, 1778, the defending Continental forces, numbering about 650 men under command of Maj. Gen. Robert Howe, were posted across Sea Island Road (now Wheaton street) approximately 100 yards east of this marker.
The British army, 2500 strong, landed near Brewton Hill at daybreak on Dec. 29. It consisted of part of the 71st Highland Regt., New York Loyalists, and Hessians, and was commanded by Lt. Col. Archibald Campbell. The British promptly marched on Savannah. They halted on the road about 800 yards from the American battle line and deployed for attack.
Col. Campbell meanwhile learned of an unguarded pass through the swamp, which led around the right of the American line. He there upon detached the Light Infantry under Sir James Baird in an attempt, which proved successful, to flank the Continental position here.
Outflanked, the American position became untenable and Gen. Howe ordered Savannah evacuated. During the withdrawal, the Georgia Brigade, commanded by Gen. Lachlan McIntosh, was cut off and suffered heavy casualties.
During the subsequent siege of Savannah by the French and Americans in 1779 the British line of defenses around the Town ran through this area.