This building was erected in 1835 in the Greek Revival architectural style and was originally known as the Wilson Hotel. Such notables as Daniel Webster and singer Jenny Lind stayed here. It was a nationally known favorite of 19th Century political figures. Major Marcus Reno (U.S. Army, 7th Cavalry) of Little Big Horn fame frequented this establishment. In the late 1800's, the building was "Victorianized" through the creation of the mansard roof and window trim embellishments and was renamed the Lochiel Hotel. The hotel continued as a popular lodging destination until 1912 when it was transformed into the Colonial Theater, a lavishly decorated vaudeville theater house, which later doubled as a movie theater, and where many of the Nation's noteworthy actors took stage. Although efforts were launched to preserve the theater in the early 1980's, long-term neglect resulted in its physical collapse onto S. Third Street in September, 1983, with no injuries. Because the building had been listed in the National Register of Historic Places several years earlier, extraordinary efforts were made to save the front portion of the structure. This now restored exterior blended with the sensitively designed contemporary rear portion of the building, serves as upscale office and retail space.
The Lochiel's exuberant campaign bunting reflected the hotel's political clientele in this late 19th Century photo.
Bottom Left Photo
1906 view of the Lochiel shows its original depth along S. Third Street which the building's contemporary addition now emulates.
Bottom Right Photo
The original building was Greek Revival in style as shown in this very early photograph looking across Market Street toward S. Third Street.