Charles City County, VirginiaSince the establishment of the Court House during the mid-eighteenth century, this area has served as a community center for the entire county. During the Revolution and Civil War the area was the site of military encampments. A tavern built in the colonial era was destroyed by fire and replaced by a house and store, first owned by Nances and later the Majors. Landmarks in the Court House area have included a blacksmith shop, county jail, post office (est. 1803), Hubbard's Store, Greenway School, Charles City Charity School (est. 1810) and Charles City High School (est. 1924). Prominent are homes include Greenway, Mons Sacre, Wood Park and the Brown-Jones House. The area east of the Glebe Creek was known as New Hope. Area landmarks have included the store of Fielding Lewis, the Glebe Lane School, Waddill's Mill and Haupt's Store, earlier known as Major's Store. Prominent area homes include Belle Air, "The Glebe" of Westover Parish, Little Glebe, Bush Hill, the home of several doctors and Millford, the home of Edmund Waddill, a longtime Clerk of the Court.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 27th, 2014 at 2:16pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 316944 N 4134972|
|Decimal Degrees||37.34341667, -77.06656667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 20.605', W 77° 3.994'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 20' 36.30" N, 77° 3' 59.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11640-11798 VA-5, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.