Located in the center of the village of New Hampton, which was platted on the 4th of July, 1822, by Samuel Jones and Samuel Sexton, the village stood on the Old State Road which ran from Franklinton Columbus to Springfield. Built ca. 1806.
Here lie the remains of the families who first settled this wilderness, including the remains of Rev. Isaac Jones, founder of the village of Jefferson. Rev. Jones also founded the Baptist Church in 1820, and was an associate judge, Court of Common Pleas, for Madison County. He died at the age of 40 yrs. on Sept. 22, 1842. On Sept. 13, 1830, he had the plat of the village of Jefferson recorded, shortly thereafter the village of New Hampton ceased to exist, as people and buildings were moved to the new town.
Erected during the Bicentennial year, A.D. 1976, by interested citizens, organizations, and township trustees.