Pine Log Town, located on Pine Log Creek in the flat fields slightly over a half mile east of Oak Hill Church north of GA 140, (in Pine Log, Georgia), extended almost a mile along the creek. The lots were 293, 294, 295,296, 317, 318, 284,and 283, in the 23rd District and 2nd Section of the new organized Cass County (now Bartow) in 1832.(Continued on other side)
The Ridge, or Major Ridge, brought his aged parents from Hiawassee (now Tennessee) to Pine Log (now Georgia) because of the tranquility of the place. It was here that The Ridge, or Chief Yellow Bird, signed the Treaty of Hopewell in 1785. It was also here in the late 1570 that De Soto visited the village and was amazed at the Indian women and the skills they had at running the village. Benjamin Hawkins who was sent by the United States President to be the Agent of the Creeks, also visited the village. He wrote to President Washington about the civilized Cherokee. It was here while he was on a War Party that Major Ridge parents died (March 1789) and were buried. Within a few years, Major Ridge had moved on to the Oostanaula River at Oothcaloga, before finally moving on to what is now Rome, GA.
(Reverse Side of Marker)
(Continued from other side)
It is from this Sacred Indian Village Town, that Pine Log got its name. This will always be Pine Log, not to be mistaken for Rydal. The Kenneth Cannon family now owns the property, a place of tranquility and green spaces for generations to enjoy.
Thanks go to the Bartow County Commissioner, Clarence Brown, and the Mayor of Cartersville, Michael Field, and the Cartersville Bartow County Cultural Arts Alliance, for their support of the Pine Log Historical Society, and erection of this sign. May 2004.
Source: Rev. Charles O. Walker and his book Cherokee Footprints, the Southeastern Indians, Charles Hudson, Cherokee Tragedy, Thurman Wilkins, Indian Removal, Grant Foreman. The Southern Indians and Benjamin Hawkins, 1796~1816 Florette Henri.
Comments 0 comments