This church was founded in 1784 by Rev. John Webb and John Cole, with Barnett Putman and William Wilbanks, Sr. as its first deacons. It was first called "the Church of Christ on Tyger River" and renamed Padgett Creek Baptist Church by 1800. The first sanctuary, a log building, stood about a mile south.
The second sanctuary, a frame building, was completed nearby about 1810. This sanctuary, described as "elegant and commodious" by an early church historian, was built 1844-48. It was enlarged by the addition of a portico and steeple in 1958. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.