Known in its early days as the "Presbyterian Church at Christiana Bridge," this congregation was organized in the 1730s. A church structure was built on this site soon after and a graveyard was established by the mid-18th century. Rev. Charles Tennant served as the first minister of the church, and the prominent English evangelist George Whitefield, a friend of the Tennant family, reportedly preached to a large gathering near this church in the late 1730s. Formally incorporated on July 29, 1790, the Christiana Presbyterian Church sold its original structure in the 1850s. The cornerstone of the present building was laid on September 8, 1857. The entire edifice was stuccoed in the early part of the 20th century. In the 1950s, the Ernest Freeman Hall Memorial Building was constructed to serve as a social hall for church functions. As part of the Christiana Historic District, the Christiana Presbyterian Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.