This monument is an intrusive igneous red granite rock — the official rock of the State of Wisconsin. It was quarried near Wausau, Wisconsin, and specifically known as "Wisconsin Ruby Red." It was crystallized from magma about 1750 million years ago.
The red mineral in this rock, potassium feldspar (microcline) is colored by finely divided hematite. Quartz is the glassy material and other minerals are oligoclase and biolite.
Granite is found in many textures and colors, gray, green, black, pink and red and has many uses:monuments, building stone, floors, highway surfacing, counter tops and in this case it was intended to be used as riprap and in breakwaters.
In 2004, the U.S. Corps of Engineers contracted with a Wausau quarry firm to have 800 blocks of granite weighing from four to seven tons each delivered to the west side of this canal to be used at many Corps project sites.
A special thanks to Jim Bonetti, Chief of Operations and Maintenance Kewaunee Office of the U.S. Corps of Engineers, for arranging to provide this rock and its transportation to this site.