At this point, two historic roads, the Darien to Milledgeville and the King Road, merged to form what is now Highway 301. The Darien to Milledgeville Road, established before 1816, later became a part of the Darien to Macon Stage Road. The King Road, built in the 1820s, was a higher route leading from the Great Southern Road at the Coast into the Interior.
Here, also, the roads crossed two old Indian trails, the Doctortown Path linking Savannah with the Doctortown crossing on the Altamaha River, and the trail from Savannah to Beard`s Bluff on that stream.
Comments 0 comments