Polly Hundley's Corner
— Lee vs. Grant - The 1864 Campaign —
This intersection was known as Polly Hundley's Corner during the Civil War. The roads led to Atlee's Station, the Pamunkey River, Mechanicsville and Hanover Courthouse. A sign here announced that it was only seven miles to Richmond and just two miles to Polegreen Church.
The fighting along Totopotomoy Creek near this intersection bridged the gap between the battles of North Anna and Cold Harbor. Timely intelligence gathered at the Battle of Enon Church on May 28, 1864, allowed Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee to place his army across Union Gen. U.S. Grant's path. Between May 28-30, the two armies confronted each other from behind powerful entrenchments.
The Federal army passed Enon Church and marched through this intersection on its way to Totopotomoy Creek. Union artillery deployed atop the ridge on both sides of the road. On the opposite bank Gen. John C. Breckinridge's Confederate division blocked the path of Gen. Winfield S. Hancock's Union Second Corps. Late on May 30, Grant ordered a strong probe in this area. Gen. Francis C. Barlow's Union division actually crossed the creek and occupied Breckinridge's entrenchments, but fell back at dark. Most of that fighting occurred just beyond the Shelton House, one mile southwest of here. The Battle of Totopotomoy Creek featured much entrenching and little fighting. From here the armies moved to Cold Harbor, where there would be plenty of action.
The Shelton House, "Rural Plains," was the most prominent landmark on the Totopotomoy Creek battlefield. Patrick Henry was married there in 1754 and Gen. Hancock established his headquarters there 110 years later on May 30, Both cannon and mortars - the latter just beginning to see regular service - were positioned in the yard of the house. A signal station on the roof attracted Confederate artillerists who hit the house at least 50 times. Despite repeated urgings to leave from the Union officers, several members of the Shelton family remained in the house throughout the battle. The Shelton house is a private residence today and is on the National Register of Historic Places.