Established by Act of the General Assembly Oct. 13, 1885; site selected Oct. 20, 1886.
Administration Building erected, 1887.
First session, Oct. 7, 1888.
In July, August, 1864, this site was occupied by one of a series of forts connected by rifle-pits which 12 mi. in extent, encircled Atlanta. During siege operations the city was defended by Gen. Hood's Army of Tennessee.
Opposing this sector were the 4th and 20th Corps of the Federal Army of the Cumberland posted in the area between 10th and 14th Sts. The siege began July 22d and ended August 25.