Georgia's first hospital, Candler is thesecond oldest continuously operatinghospital in the United States. Its historybegan in the 1730s when Methodistmissionary George Whitfield broughtmedicines to treat sick seamen and the poor. Chartered in 1804 as a seaman's hospital and poor house, itwas later incorporated in 1808 underthe name Savannah Poor House andHospital Society. In 1819, the hospitalmoved to Gaston Street where it remained for 160 years. After Unionforces occupied Savannah, the building served as a Union Hospitaluntil 1866. Renamed the SavannahHospital in 1872, it later housed the city's first nursing school which openedin 1902. The Methodist Church purchasedthe hospital in 1930, renaming it for Bishop Warren A. Candler. In 1960, the hospital joined forces with the country'soldest woman's hospital, Mary Telfair. In 1978 groundbreaking ceremonieswere held on this site and the facilitywas completed in October 1980. In 1992it was renamed Candler Hospital and in1997, the hospital entered a joint operating agreement with St. Joseph'sHospital, forming St. Joseph CandlerHealth System.