This church was constituted at Newington Plantation, Chatham County, 1793, in the home of Thomas Polhill. Meetings alternated between the Polhill home near Goshen settlement and the Fox family home near King`s Bridge on the Ogeechee River until 1797. The first meeting house, called Bethel was built at King`s Bridge in 1797. In 1802 it removed to Newington Plantation. Members met in conference at Rooty Branch Church, Screven County, an arm of Black Swamp Baptist Church, South Carolina, 1803 to 1806, where they resolved to meet in the future at this house. In 1826 the name was changed to Newington, Screven County, and in 1852 to North Newington. In 1879 the church was moved to the present site.
Affiliated with the Carolina Assn. at first, the Savannah River Assn. in 1802, the Sunbury Assn. in 1830, this church has been a member of the Baptist Middle Assn. since 1841.
Early officers were: Pastors, John L. Southwell, Isaac Nichols, Wm. Spiers, Wm. W. Lee; Deacons, Thos. Polhill, Wm. Mathers, Benj. Fox, Josiah Fox, James Goldwire, Daniel Dampers, Paul B. Colson; Clerks, David Fox, Thos. Fox, Henry W. Williams.