The oldest surviving map of Annapolis, drawn by James Stoddert in 1718, shows that the area now occupied by Corhill and Fleet Streets, had been set aside for Governor Francis Nocholson for use as a garden, summer house and vineyard. In 1771 Charles Wallace, an entrepreneur and builder, purchased 5.5 acres of the tract from the Bordley family and subdivided the land into 28 lots on either side of the new streets. he named the streets after well-known commerical districts in London as a marketing ploy and leased the lots to college ground rent, rather than selling them. As he envisioned, the area attracted tavern keepers, livery stables, merchants and craftsmen. Eight buildings date to the earliest period, including Brewer's Tavern at 37-39 Cornhill and Capt. Maybury's King's Arms Tavern at 41 Cornhill. The area was further subdivided and developed in the late 19th century.