Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington.
County government organized 1833 by Judge James Thompson of Jefferson County. First officers were: Nathaniel Greer, Sheriff; William House, Clk. Cir. Ct.; Joseph J. Williams, Clk. Co. Ct.; Booker Lawson, John Wood, William Fannin, John A. Hurst, Commissioners of Roads and Revenue. Permanent court site selected by Commissioners Thomas C. Russell, James Taylor and Capt. Baxter Taylor. A log courthouse was built here 1833, replaced by brick structure 1837 and used until present courthouse erected 1899.
LaFayette, county seat, was formerly known as Chambersville and Chambers C. H. (courthouse).