[This base is a two-sided monument commemorating both Rancho San Ysidro (side 1) and San Ysidro School (side 2)]RANCHO SAN YSIDROIn the early 1800's Rancho San Ysidro was granted to Ygnacio Ortega. After his death the lands were divided among his three children, Quintin, Maria Isabel and Maria Clara, who married John Gilroy at Mission San Juan Bautista in 1821. A short distance west of the ancient sycamore, at the intersection of Pacheco Pass and Frazier Lake Road, stood the adobes of the Ortega and Gilroy families.Ortega's seaman son-in-law was born in Scotland about 1794 as John Cameron, arrived in Monterey in 1814, borrowed his mother's maiden name, and was later baptized as "Juan Bautista Gilroy."He is considered the first English-speaking resident of California.
With brothers-in-law Quintin Ortega and Julian Cantua, Gilroy made soap near San Felipe Lake, which he traded along with onions and flour from his gristmill to Thomas Larkin of Monterey. Settlers were drawn to Rancho San Ysidro because of the hospitality of the Ortega and Gilroy families. Captain John C. Fremont and his troops passed by here on their way south in November 1846. They appropriated most of Gilroy's horses and mules to support the American acquisition of California. San Ysidro grew into a small community with a school (later located on this site), store, butcher and blacksmith shops, and a post office.
John Gilroy lived here under the flags of Spain, Mexico, and the United States.He served as an auxiliary alcalde and later as justice of the peace. When the town was incorporated in 1868, citizens honored Gilroy by naming their town after him. The growth of the community of San Ysidro shifted two miles west.the following year with the completion of the railroad amd the demise of John Gilroy. Today, descendents of John Gilroy continue his legacy by residing in "Old Gilroy," also known as San Ysidro.
Dedicated October 23, 2004 by the The Gilroy Historical Society & Anchorpoint Christian School.
Erected by Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus &Observatory Parlor 177 Native Sons of The Golden West
SAN YSIDRO SCHOOLSan Ysidro School is the oldest school in continuous operation on the same site in Southern Santa Clara County. Titled after a Spanish land grant acquired by Ygnacio Ortega from Mexico in 1803, Rancho San Ysidro was named after Saint Isadore, "The Plowman". Local families were the first to take responsibility for educating their children. Established in 1859, a redwood structure was built there to accommodate students from the growing community of Gilroy.
The San Ysidro School remained as an independent school district for over 100 years, and was combined with the Gilroy Unified School District in July of 1966. San Ysidro School, together with the giant sycamore tree that shades the front playground, has survived as a cornerstone of education for the children of Gilroy's past, present, and future. Dedicated June 11, 1994
Gilroy Unified School District
Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850
E Clampus Vitus
"Right Wrongs Nobody"