(North Side):Fort Jefferson Site
Built in 1780 by George Rogers Clark as part of impressive plan of settlement, conceived by Gov. Patrick Henry of Virginia, later pursued by and named for Gov. Thomas Jefferson. The fort was to protect US claim to its western border and to be a key trading post. It was abandoned, 1781. Over.
Resettled after Jackson Purchase. Important Union post in Civil War.
(South Side):Indian Massacre
In 1781, the Chickasaws, led by a Scotchman, Colbert, aroused by use of their land without consent, besieged the fort for 5 days. Many settlers killed. Those left became desperate for provisions, already low because of the difficulty in reaching the fort. Gen. Clark arrived with reinforcements and supplies. Indians withdrew. Fort was abandoned thereafter. Over.